(For Immediate Release)
Florida's Fake Crosswalks (Unmarked Mid-Block Crosswalks) are Killing Pedestrians
- A Letter from a Frustrated Florida Pedestrian
& Cyclist -
By Jeff Redding
PedestriansMatter.org exposes Florida
Department of Transportation Pedestrian Safety Violations
and recommends Sponsorship of Pedestrian Safety
1. The FDOT is violating Unmarked and Uncontrolled Mid-Block Crosswalk Safety Standards.
2. The FDOT is violating Sidewalk Obstruction Safety Standards (and committing ADA Fraud).
The Smart Growth America,
Dangerous By Design 2016 Report ranked the 104
largest U.S. metro areas according to a “Pedestrian
Danger Index,” 7
of the top 10 (out of 104) most dangerous metropolitan
areas were in Florida. A September 25th,
2018 Wall Street Journal Article shows how Florida is
also by far the deadliest
State for Cyclist.
Crosswalks Link shows how the FDOT places Unmarked
Mid-Block Crosswalks on High Traffic , High Speed
Roads. I believe this failure to comply with
established Safety Standards has resulted in many
pedestrians deaths. Read about three fatal accidents
resulting from these Fake Crosswalks. Rest in Peace Jessica, Lilia, Isabel, and
The Sidewalk Obstructions
Link shows how the FDOT misrepresents the ADA to justify
placing Light Posts in the middle of sidewalks rather
than in the Utility Strip.
You Can Help
Please contact your Florida Congressional Representatives and ask them to sponsor two Bills.
1. The Jessica, Lillia, Isabel, and Alexis Pedestrian Safety Compliance Bill. This Bill would relinquish control of Local Roads to from the FDOT to Local Authorities (like in most other States).
2. The ADA Pedestrian Safety Compliance Bill. This Bill would require that State (FDOT) and County ADA Coordinators have former Education and Work Experience in the ADA.